How to Use GitHub Desktop For Mac And Windows
Installing the application is easy.
- Go to the GitHub Desktop download page and click either Download for Mac or Download for Windows. Make sure to choose the correct one for your machine.
- Find the downloaded zip file on your computer and double-click the file to unzip it.
- Double-click the unzipped GitHub Desktop icon to start the program.
Now that the program is installed and running, you need to add your GitHub or GitHub Enterprise account information in order to access your repositories. You can do this by going to the Accounts tab in the application’s Preferences and signing in to whichever account you have.
It’s now time to configure Git. Although you can access your repositories, you won’t be able to make any commits without Git. You do this by first signing in to the GitHub or GitHub Enterprise website. Then, you’ll need to:
- Click your profile photo in the upper-right corner of the page and click Settings.
- Click Emails and copy the email address you’d like to use for Git.
- Return to GitHub Desktop and go to the applications Preferences.
- Select Git and type in the name you’d like to use for the configuration and paste the email address into the Email field.
You’re almost ready to use GitHub Desktop! The last step is to connect your preferred editing application so you can make changes to your project. All you have to do is go to the Advanced tab in GitHub Desktop’s Preferencesand select the editor you want to use in the External Editor drop-down menu.
That’s it! By reading this article, you’ve learned how to use GitHub desktop to access your repositories and commit changes. Happy coding!
Check out this blog post if you want to know how to change your Minecraft name!